Fire Prevention Week – part 1

Around Your Home

We are kicking off Fire Prevention Week with a 3 part blog that will help you ease into the colder months with some peace of mind about the electrical safety in and around your home.

Most electrical fires fall into one of three categories

  1. Wiring, electrical devices and appliances that have become old, worn out or outdated.

One of the easiest things to check is the cords on small appliances such as those in the kitchen (blenders, toasters, etc.) and the bedroom or bathroom (hair dryers, curling irons, shavers, etc.).  These cords can become frayed or worn over time and can increase the chance of getting a shock or, if the cord heats up enough, starting a fire.

If you find any worn or frayed cords either replace the cord or, if necessary,  the device or appliance.

Extension cords should only be used for temporary power but often are found behind couches or under area rugs to supply power for lamps and other devices.  This can be hazardous because, once in place, we seldom think of these cords.  An extension cord under a rug may experience greater wear and tear when the rug is walked on and the connection may become loose.  As with worn or frayed cords on small appliances, an extension cord hidden under a rug may heat up or spark – the difference is that it is covered and could start the rug on fire.

Take a little time to make sure your home and family are safe from electrical fires.

Check back for part 2 tomorrow!

Peggy

BE SAFE AND BE AWARE

For more information on fire Prevention go to Fire Prevention Canada at www.fiprecan.ca

For more information on the Electrical Safety Authority go to www.esasafe.com