Fire Prevention Week – part 2

In Your Walls

2. Connections inside wall plugs and switches can become loose over time and cause electricity to arc as power flows through it.  This can cause overheating, burning of the wires and discolouration of the switch or plug.  This is not only a fire hazard but can also damage or reduce the life of anything plugged into it – especially electronics.  This is more difficult to inspect but if there is any discolouration, or you hear any noise coming from the switch or plug when you turn it on or plug something in – it would be wise to arrange for a licensed electrician to inspect and, if necessary, repair any loose connections.

Connections inside the fuse or breaker panel can also loosen over time which, as above, can cause overheating and possibly damage anything connected to that circuit.  There is a lot of power inside the panel and inspecting, tightening or repairing anything inside the panel should only be done by a qualified licensed electrician.

Albright Electric can inspect, repair or replace any loose or damaged switches and plugs at a very reasonable rate.  Feel free to call us if you have any questions.

Watch for part 3 tomorrow, or link to part 1 here

Peggy

BE SAFE AND BE AWARE

For more information on fire Prevention go to Fire Prevention Canada at www.fiprecan.ca

For more information on the Electrical Safety Authority go to www.esasafe.com