Living with an Invisible Killer

6 Things you should know about Carbon Monoxide:

  1. It is invisible, odorless and tasteless.

A CO detector is the only device that can warn you if Carbon Monoxide is at dangerous levels in your home. You would not know it was there until it was too late, now that’s silent but deadly.

  1. It can come from anywhere.

The exhaust from burning fuels can come  from a variety of everyday items that can be found all over the home or work place. Cars, hot water heaters, furnaces, wood stoves, fireplaces, stoves, barbeques and other home appliances use fuels like natural gas, oil, propane, wood or kerosene that give off Carbon Monoxide.

  1. It’s the law.

Every home is required to have a CO detector installed outside all sleeping areas in the home and on each floor of your home.

  1. The signs are easy to spot.

Signs of Carbon Monoxide poisoning include, but are not limited to symptoms such as  headaches, nausea, dizziness, burning eyes, confusion, drowsiness & loss of consciousness.  Exposure to Carbon Monoxide can make it difficult to think clearly making it difficult to recognize the problem.  CO poisoning can cause brain damage and death.

  1. There are several types of detectors to choose from.

Plug-in, battery operated, hard wired and also in combination with smoke detectors. Generally  the most common detectors installed have been plug in or battery operated and are available at any department or hardware store. Remember to test them at least once a year to make sure they are working right especially if you have the battery type.

  1. Life span, like anything else all CO detectors have an expiry date and have to be replaced.

The life of a CO detector can be 5 years, 7 years or 10 years.  Expiry dates should be printed somewhere on the detector. Feel free to give us a call if you have any questions or concerns.  Our licensed electricians can inspect, and if necessary, replace your Carbon Monoxide detectors and smoke alarms.

Be smart and be safe – install a CO detector in your home today!

Peggy

For more info www.COsafety.ca

www.mcscs.jus.gov.on.ca

your local fire department